Friday, August 04, 2006

New World Translation

A couple of Jehovah's Witnesses visited with me for a couple of hours this week. This was a followup visit because I told one of them I was concerned with the way their Bible (NWT) translated John 1:1. This gentleman gave me a little booklet which offered an explanation of their translation, and then we made an appointment to sit down and talk about it. So, we talked about a lot of stuff, but I made sure we dealt fairly with the issue of John 1:1. Their NWT says, "and the word was a god." My Bible says, "and the Word was God." Big difference! We discussed several points on this matter, but one sentence from their little answer book said that "some Bibles do not translate this passage "and the Word was God."" Is that so? I have somewhere between 18 and 22 different translations if the Bible at home, so I pulled them from the shelves, and one-by-one, I would find John 1:1, read it aloud, put a sticky-note in it to save the page, and pass it down for them to confirm. We could not find even one translation to verify their little book. I think that's because most translations got it right, and theirs contains a deliberate smoke screen, attempting to blur what God's word says about the identity of Jesus Christ. There is but one God, and his nature or essence is in three persons: the Father, the Son (Jesus Christ) and the Holy Spirit.

No comments: