Thursday, October 05, 2006

we must know it

I read a quote from Horatius Bonar. I think the devotional book is out of print, but it's called "They Walked With God" from Moody Publishers. For October 6 he said, "Above all theologies, and creeds, and catechisms, and books, and hymns, must the Word be meditated on, that we may grow in the knowledge of all its parts and in assimilation to its models. Our souls must be steeped in it; not in certain favorite parts of it, but the whole. We must know it, not from the report of others but from our own experience and vision,..." "Another cannot breathe the air for us, nor eat for us, nor drink for us." Sunday, my pastor invited our church to join him on his next read-through of the Bible. I wonder how many of us will join that or any program for a regular, systematic read-through of the whole Bible. I've done it before, but this year, I fell off track. I need it.

3 comments:

Even So... said...

Both Bonar (Andrew being the other), along with EM Bounds, are some of those we like to say "everybody should read"...

Craver, you just gave me an idea; we just got our .50 ESV NT's, and it has a six month NT reading plan. I wonder how many in my church would go with me on it?

Jonathan Moorhead said...

This is a great quote. Thanks for posting it at the Moor.

Taliesin said...

Great quote. I agree that simply reading through (not studying, per se, just reading) is a great benefit when done along with studying. I definitely need to do so again.