Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Chuck Norris

Were you aware that Chuck Norris doesn’t dodge bullets because… bullets dodge him? Or the “fact” that when Chuck Norris was denied an Egg McMuffin at McDonald’s because it was 10:35, he roundhouse kicked the store so hard it became a Wendy’s. These are some examples of this phenomenon known as Chuck Norris Facts. I think they’re hilarious! I only first heard about this a week ago, and then The Armchair Theologian wrote something about it on his blog. Armchair includes info from a redeeming article where Chuck Norris responds and gives glory to God through this crazy stuff. Some of the “facts” sound like a kind of deification. Like the “fact” that Chuck Norris doesn’t get wet; when he enters the water... wet gets Chuck Norris. Upon hearing that one, I start to guffaw, but catch myself lest a fellow Pharisee point at me shouting, “Blasphemy!” But silently sitting here, with my hand over my mouth, I still find it funny and then I wonder if that is not too different from Christians. That is to say, that although I would not approve of such things as the circus act of handling snakes and scorpions for show, here we are, totally surrounded by this world, and yet our environment will be blessed and changed by these earthen vessels (this of course pertains only to authentic Christians) carrying the precious Spirit of God. The godless are all around us, but by the grace and sovereignty of God, it is not us who will change…it is them. Furthermore, who can harm us except for what the Lord allows? Stonewall Jackson had a deep appreciation for this as he rode fearlessly with hot lead whizzing past him in battle. That’s pretty cool, even if you’re not as cool as Chuck Norris - the man who is the reason Waldo is hiding - the man who counted to infinity – twice! The man who’s so fast, he can run around the world and punch himself in the back of the head, etc.

7 comments:

L.L. Barkat said...

I admit I don't even know who Chuck Norris is, but I guess that also makes him God-like... for, surely, many don't know who God is either. :)

Craver Vii said...

(gasp) You don’t know who Chuck Norris is? Your daughter’s Barbie chops (as in karate?) the head off Prince Charming and you don’t know who Chuck Norris is?!
How could you not… What in the world…I – I – d’oh! (storming out of the room, slamming the door)

Even So... said...

Oh no, Craver is down...call the waaa...no I can't do it anymore...

Good stuff...

Jonathan Moorhead said...

Chuck Norris rules!
http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com

L.L. Barkat said...

OMG, I am laughing so hard I can hardly type! (which is good, because it means I'll be less likely to act like that volatile Barbie when people make fun of me for not knowing who somebody like, I don't know, Chuck Norris is! :)

Thanks for the laugh!!

Jen2 said...

Thanks for the laugh - tis hilarious friend.....and way to pull a thoughtful meditation out of it too.

In the world not of it,
jen2

Anonymous said...

Oh man. I've unleashed a monster. Chuck will not be pleased with me...