Friday, January 19, 2007

hmmm... that's odd

I've been tagged!!!

Normally, I don't respond to e-tags, but I'll make an exception this time, because I'm curious to see how I would answer. ;-)

LL Barkat thinks there could be 5 odd things about me. Of all the nerve! There's NOTHING odd at all about me! (It's the rest of the world that's unusual.) Nevertheless:

Uno: I have the coolest archery nickname. Once upon a time, I used to do a lot of practice at the range, and I had fine-tuned my compound bow so well, that I had really, really fast arrows. The old pros that I hung around with started to call me "Lightnin'." What an awesome tag, right? Wrong. They had a great guffaw at my expense when they explained it's because, "Lightnin' don't strike the same spot twice." Aah, good times.

Dos: Does pillowhead bother you? When I was a little boy, I was semi OCD. Yeah, I was like a little Monk; my siblings called me “professor.” After taking evening baths, I used to try to fall asleep holding my head up from the pillow so my hair wouldn’t get messy. Nobody stopped me to explain that this was unnecessary. They just waited ‘till I grew up so they could laugh at my expense. Is there a theme beginning to form here?

Tres: There’s a birthmark on my left earlobe. It looks like an earring. Maybe you think that’s not a big deal, except for when you’re schmoozing ultra-conservatives and catch that look of enlightenment when they notice you’re a pot-smoking hippie who is going to try to get their girls in trouble. Well, that’s what the earring means, right?

Quatro: I attended Catholic seminary; I used to want to be a priest. As a little boy, when I played pretend, I would pretend to be a priest saying the mass.

Cinco: I mad an interesting discovery about my coworkers. I thought that they appreciated my witticisms, but now, I’m not so sure. Upon careful scrutiny, it would seem that I am not so much generating laughs as causing a gag reflex. They’re very similar, don’tcha know.

Well, maybe that last one doesn’t count. How ‘bout this. I love peanut butter. A lot. I wouldn’t say I crave it because I can’t find a theological tie-in. But my youngest son is going around repeating, “My dad loves peanut butter so much, he could eat peanut butter with DIRT.”

7 comments:

L.L. Barkat said...

Catholic seminary. That is very interesting. How long ago? (They didn't kick you out because of your "earring," did they?)

Shammickite said...

I love the reason behind the tag "Lightnin'", that gave me a good giggle.

Jennifer said...

That was AWESOME, Craver!! That definitely gave me a good laugh...out loud...

Craver's a hippie! Craver's a hippie! Tee hee, you're funny.

Craver Vii said...

I entered H.S. Seminary in the fall of ’78 and left after the first quarter of my second year. In my “mind’s eye” I always pictured that I would have grandchildren sitting around me near a fireplace, but I couldn’t picture myself as an old priest. That sophomore year, I had an F in art, but when I transferred to Gordon Tech, I got A’s in art and became president of the art club. Boo-ya!

Shammi-lammi-riffic! Hellooooo Canada! I don’t mind the nickname at all. Five years ago, there was a goofy pseudo-contest by the morning team at WMBI (local Christian radio). They were looking for applicants to join the M&D (Mark & Dave) Royal Society. It was a totally phony society, and the most I would get from it was maybe a picnic, but that never happened. Anyway, I became their “royal archer,” simply because I had a cool archery nickname.

Jennifer, I want to get my hands on an old high school picture. I guarantee you’ll shoot milk through your nose! Hmmm… how do I get my family (they’re in Florida) to trust me with a picture from “the time vault.”

Anonymous said...

Hey Lightin' - nice earring!

L.L. Barkat said...

Oh, Jennifer, do it here... the milk and nose trick when you see Craver Junior.

Craver Vii said...

Vulnerable?? I was holding a deadly weapon in my hands, remember? Eh, maybe you're right.

Charity, you might actually have touched on the most odd thing about me here. Man, I used to be sooooo sensitive about every little thing; I couldn't take a joke. I probably cried more at 13 than when I was 2 or 3.

Finally, I realized that playful banter did not need to be received as a life-threatening wound. Once I learned not to take myself too seriously, I was spared a whole lot of unnecessary pain. Being vulnerable became a possibility.