Tuesday, September 11, 2007

campout cravings

Believe it or not, those dreaded mosquitoes did not ruin the weekend campout for me and the rest of the Craver clan. There was a lot of wonder that filled my eyes. Armed with a cheap telescope, and even cheaper binoculars, I made it a point to do some stargazing. When we left the house, I realized that I didn't know where my star chart was. Bummer. But I still managed to catch a mesmerizing view of the Milky Way, a satellite, the Andromeda galaxy, Jupiter and three of its sixteen moons, a few familiar constellations, and at five thirty in the morning, I saw a crescent Venus mimicking our crescent moon. What a blessing that we were able to ogle at the heavens without any fancy gear.

.

Oh, look! A llama!

.

Just over two hours, it was a relatively short drive. There was no rain, to change our scheduled activities. It was hot enough to swim in the day, and cool enough to sleep at night. The kids had fun feeding the animals and riding the ponies. It was a joy to be with my kids
and I especially enjoyed canoeing and archery. Thank-you, thank-you to Mrs. Craver and another friend for all the work they did planning, packing, and cooking. I still can't believe we were able to cram all that stuff in the minivan.

.

Say, is that goat really smiling for the camera?

.

I had to tease this guy with the laptop. You don't think he was blogging, do you? Naaaah, probably homework.

.

These are all my own pictures, for a change.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Heyho, Mr. Green crayon! Since that post of mine, I walk around the house saying, "I am a red crayon!", repeatedly. People think your crazy when you do that-go figure! ;)

Great pics!

Anonymous said...

I Still Can't get over the Picture of the goat with a giant smile on his face. Great picture taking skills I like them. I never even thought about taking Pictures while camping there like you did. It was a blast camping. especially having time to dig into scripture.

Randy

L.L. Barkat said...

Ah, I do so love stargazing. (Literal and figurative.)

david mcmahon said...

As Ogden Nash once wrote: ``The one L lama, he's a priest, the two L lama, he's a beast.''

Complete the verse (without Googling it) - or even better, post a piece on your blog, telling your readers that you and I are throwing down the gauntlet to them.

Tell 'em we want to see if they can complete the verse without Googling it.

Get 'em to record their attempts in the comments section. Could be a great post with a lot of fun!

Reader involvement is great, too.

And when you have time, check out my post `The Daily Lama' from some months ago ... it might interest you!

Keep smiling

David

Craver Vii said...

People think you're crazy, Eve? "Go figure" indeed. Take it from Greenie; ladies and gentlemen, you need to know your crayola color. The link for the quiz is at Eve's Red Crayon post.

Three of the people in these pictures are my own children. Randy is in the archery picture, but he's not one of mine. I'm so glad you went camping with us Randy. By the way, if any single ladies are interested, he's 25 years old, and his cell phone number is 555-1212.

Figurative stargazing, LL? Like movie-stars? I need to find a nice, dark, unobstructed viewing area that is not too far away. It makes me feel special when I can identify constellations and such.

Your Daily Lama post was B.C. (before Craver), but I found it through Google. Fascinating pictures. Equally fascinating is the belief that a person can spin a prayer wheel and it is just as valid as if he had spoken the words inscribed on it.

I like your suggestion. Let's see what I can cook up for my next post.