Monday, February 11, 2008

cross reference

Yesterday's Sunday School lesson was essentially an age-appropriate paraphrase of the gospel accounts of Jesus' crucifixion. After the class, a fellow parent/co-teacher expressed a renewed astonishment at the brutality of it all, and my ind was repeatedly drawn to those thoughts for the rest of the day. These are some of my afterthoughts.

.

Our Lord was not the only one to go to the cross. The Romans had done this many times before, so their cruelty was perfected by the time they tortured Jesus to death. I found myself wondering what kind of things went through a person's mind while they were being executed.

.

I imagine they were surprised over and over again that the agony of one moment could be surpassed by the next.

.

The beating leaves every body part bruised, and the scourging causes the exposed nerves to send red alert signals to the brain. Nails in the feet and wrists support the body's entire weight. It hurts so bad, you can't keep still, but every little movement proves to be a mistake.

.

A wave of panic overcomes the victim. He can't breathe, and though he wishes he would just die, he instinctively pushes up with his feet to gasp for air. The spikes in his feet and the scraping of rough wood against his raw back quickly remind him that he never, ever wants to do that again. In his mind he says, "I can't believe I just did that," but the witnesses only hear him scream. He slumps back down to his original position. And returning, a slight bounce refreshes his memory about the spikes in his wrists.

.

1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted.

13 comments:

david mcmahon said...

Pertinent post - and a GREAT headline.

Every Square Inch said...

Moving words.

I've yet to see the Passion of the Christ movie. I'm not sure I can cope with the physical pain and anguish depicted.

Llama Momma said...

Last week, Twin A. was upset about something. When I asked him what was wrong, he asked, "Mom? Why did they have to use NAILS to hang Jesus on that cross? Why did they have to be so mean?"

He's beginning to understand why Jesus had to die for us (because we're not perfect), but doesn't understand the cruelty of it all.

He's been asking a million questions. Last night, Llama Papa joked that we need to find a theology book written for Kindergardeners...

Craver Vii said...

David and ESI... thank-you, gentlemen. It's a difficult thing to let the impact sink in for a while, but we don't want to forget it or take it too lightly.

Kindergarten theology books Llama Momma? That's no joke; they really exist. Moody Published some children's books that you might be interested in. It's a series called the Children's Bible Basics. I'll have to look around to see if I still have any of these that are not in storage. If I find one, I'll lend it to you.

My youngest son's sense of justice (or reaction to injustice) has spurred on some excellent theological discussions. I hope the same for you.

imac said...

Very moving words and creates deep thoughts.A well thought out Post.


Dirty Duck Canal walk continues.

Llama Momma said...

Very cool, Craver!

We actually have that "What happens when we die" book. The boys went through a death phase that went on and on.

I really want to answer their questions truthfully, if I can. Though lately, many of my answers have been, "Honestly, I don't know. It's a mystery."

Like last night's question at the dinner table: "But how did God create things out of NOTHING?"

We went to Genesis and read about God speaking things into existence. In the end, Twin A. decided that God used His Super Powers to make another one of those "miracles."

It is wonderful and amazing to see God wooing my boys to Himself. Especially A., who is so much like his mother. Always asking questions...

Lin said...

Wonderful post title! And a wonderful flow of heart and mind on the Passion.

Can you imagine the agony of those who loved him so and experienced the sights and thoughts of what he endured on mankind's behalf?

Lara said...

Makes me pause and think about how hideous sin is to God to require such an awful death to deal with it. All of it is often too much for my mind to comprehend and I'm so glad for grace that brings salvation without requiring me to understand it, just to accept it.

LM-I'm sometimes glad that the answer I have to give my kids about those tough questions is that it's a mystery. That's part of what makes God God, isn't it? It's part of what I treasure about my Catholic upbringing - the awe and the mystery.

Craver Vii said...

Excellent followup question, Lin.

It's amazing, isn't it AMM? We are not required to know it all in order to receive the great inheritance. The attaining of kingdom knowledge isn't like that, though. We learn little by little, and we will never finish learning. There may be some truths that are temporarily undisclosed, but still... there is sooo much knowledge that we do have access to. Thank God that it is not all mystery!

Suldog said...

It sincerely amazes me every time I think about it. We are blessed, indeed.

donsands said...

When I first saw Gibson's Passion, it truly overwhelmed me. Was Jesus tortured just as this film depicts? No one knows, but it was nevertheless like this in some manner.
It makes me love Him more. And it always, always humbles me.

Thanks Craver for sharing.


" ... the Son of God, who loved ME and gave Himself for ME.' Gal. 2:20
God forbid WE ever glory in anything but the Cross. Gal. 6:14

Anonymous said...

Very cool, Craver! Moving words. Very moving words. Thanks Craver.

Inihtar said...

Thank you for this reminder of what Christ went through. And, horrendous as the physical pain was, it was nothing compared to the emotional and spiritual agony of being separated from the Father because He took our sin upon Himself.