Thursday, September 10, 2009

school days

Some children returned to school this week. My own family homeschools, but I see lots of other peoples' kids outside these days.

.

As a commuter, it's mildly annoying to have the school busses stop the traffic, but while I wait, my mind takes a journey back to my youth. I remember what it was like returning to elementary school. I remember colorful leaves, pencil cases. I can still hear the way a skillful teacher used chalk to punctuate a lesson. Mmmm... the smell of soup in a thermos, Elmer's paste, crayons, coffee and perfume (the teacher's). I remember favorite sites along the way to school, the toy store, the Army surplus, the barking dogs at the car dealership. And oh, spelling bees... I was good at spelling! Some people don't like sweaters, but I love them because it is a link to this season. The nights are cooler; that's perfect for sleeping!

.

(inhaling deeply) I love this time of year!

.

Friends, the leaf pic looks color saturated because I placed it on a purple cloth, but that's the real deal. Our colors are just starting to turn here.

11 comments:

L.L. Barkat said...

I love this time of year too. But I want to eat tomatoes and corn just a little bit longer. :)

imac said...

Autumn, the colourful season.

lime said...

i do love autumn, i love the cripsness and the color. thanks for these reflections on happy memories.

Craver Vii said...

Corn is funny because I love it by itself, but hate it mixed with almost anything else, even tomatoes. I don't know why you would need to know that LL, but there ya go.

"Colourful" Imac? You ain't from 'round these here parts, are ya? I find that a lot of Americans like to go around using British-isms, spelling theater "theatre" and such.

Happy to share them Lime. Now I think I'll fetch a new box of Crayolas and take a deep whiff.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Craver: Fall is certainly getting closer. My Ohio Buckeye Tree is putting out ripened buckeyes and the squirrels are going into full eating/storing mode.

Anonymous said...

good to read your memories of fall and school.

it brought back some good ones for me as well.

SandyCarlson said...

I love this time of year, too. For the same reasons. I say bring back the paste. Those glue sticks just don't compare. I think autumn brought on a whole new range of tactile experiences that were as comforting as they were fun.

Shammickite said...

I agree with Imac, it's about time you Americans learned to spell.
The children all around here went back to school this week, some of them starting for the first time. Great excitement!

Craver Vii said...

It's an exciting time of year Fishing Guy. You've taken some really neat pictures of those squirrels.

Bless the Lord for good memories nAncY. They are little treasures, stored up in the mind. Smells do a lot to trigger those reminders for me.

In addition to the paste, I remember some of my classmates using Mucilage, Sandy. For some reason, I cannot recall that my parents ever purchased it, though. I'm curious to know whether that same kind of paste is still available today.

One might think that I'd be offended Shammy, when my spelling is criticized. It's amazing what you get away with by using that cute accent from the other side of the pond. Or maybe it's my over-inflated self-esteem.

Aah, those very first days of school... Maybe I'll tell you what happened my first day, but some other time.

Carletta said...

Having retired early and two years past now this year I missed getting ready for school. As a teacher I liked the same things - new pens and pencils and paper and lunchbox, dewey and foggy mornings...
Oh, I'm over that feeling but it does say autumn and sweaters. My sweater is on the back of my chair as I write.
Love the leaf!
God's got his brush out and painting the leaves here too.

Louise said...

Wow! Your colors change early!

I loved school when I was a kid. I hate it now. And I hate the traffic even more. It's hideous here. But my daughter loves it, so maybe I'm successful in hiding my annoyance with all things related to the schedule of school.