Monday, June 07, 2010

jargon for the fainthearted

[click to enlarge]

I'M BACK... what a weekend! I was WAY too busy to stop and take pictures, but I pulled one out for you from the week before. This female cardinal has a nest next door, and I checked, but there are no eggs in it now. She is a regular customer at that blue and white lighthouse feeder that I've used in previous photos.

.

This weekend I attended the Illinois Christian Home Educators' big annual convention. It was outstanding. One of may all-time favorite speakers is Dr. Voddie Baucham. If I moved to Texas, I'd probably want to attend the church he's at. There was one point where he addressed the issue of being timid about engaging the intellect in matters of faith. He told a story that goes something like this:

.

A dad goes to his son's football coach and tells the coach not to be too technical with the words he uses with the team. Instead of the proper names of positions, strategies and rules, he should just tell the kids the essentials... "get the ball, and run it past the big guys to that post on the other side... that's it"

.

Then a mom approaches her daughter's ballet teacher and does the same thing. Please don't bother with all that fancy talk of jeté, pirouette and whatever. It would be simple enough to instruct my little girl to "just put her feet together and bend at the knees."

.

I am sure I don't do his story justice, but we got a good laugh out of it. Then he went on to say,

.

If we had teachers and coaches who ran their programs that way, we would probably take our kids out and pay somebody else who could do it right. Why then do we expect lower standards when it comes to the church and theology?

.

Hmmm... food for thought.

11 comments:

imac said...

Sounds a good idea Craver.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Craver: There are life lessons to be learned at every turn.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

There may be something in that Craver. :)

Gaelyn said...

Guess you can't please everybody. Glad you enjoyed the workshop. Welcome home.

Craver Vii said...

Yes, I think so Imac. It has been a worthwhile adventure for me so far.

So true Fishing Guy!

Joan, the reply you gave me on your blog about Liz Taylor was absolutely hilarious!!

Glad to be back Gaelyn. I do not know who to credit, but there is a saying I like: Live for an audience of one. That refers to God of course. When we do that, I believe we are likely to do the most good to the most people.

DeniseinVA said...

Great post Craver, and it sounded like a very interesting workshop. Your comments on my blog always make me laugh. I wish I could do the same for you :) I'm popping over to Joan's blog by the way. I got to meet Liz Taylor about 30 years ago when she was married to John Warner, the senator for Virginia and my dear mother-in-law took me along as a volunteer way before I actually got my citizenship. I used to pray that people wouldn't ask me if I was voting for Senator Warner myself.

EG CameraGirl said...

I'm thinking it's best to not talk down to anyone. I sure don't like it when someone talks to me like I'm not too bright. OK, maybe I'm NOT too bright...but talk to me like I'm intelligent. :)

mommanator said...

great you're back and seemed to have a nice time

Craver Vii said...

Denise, you bring culture and class to my little world. I appreciate you just the way your are. Joan's crack about Liz Taylor was in the comment string after the post called Rhino beetle and mites.

Me too, EG. Sure, there may be times to simplify things, but generally speaking, I think it is best not to "lower the bar," but raise people up to proper standards.

You betcha, Mommanator! It was jam-packed with presentations, but oh-so-good!

George said...

I found the story about the coach and ballet teacher to be very interesting. The speaker's comment is definitely food for thought.

lime said...

i can't cope with the anti-intellectuals i encounter in church my response is that we are commanded to love the lord our god with all our heart, all our MIND, and all our soul. engage the mind!