Friday, September 03, 2010

18-55mm

As I pulled into the parking spot, I noticed the silhouette of a big o'l hawk. It's a Redtail. I reached for my camera, and remembered that I had been traveling light. My 300mm lens was still back at home. I wondered how close I could get, and if this bird would tolerate the use of flash. At first, I thought I should skip the attempt, because conditions were not optimal. Then I wondered what I could do with what I had. I meandered slowly, making a slow semi-circle approach, and ended up approximately ten feet away. I would have preferred using a tripod, so that I could dial down the ISO to 800. Yes, and it would have been handy to have the bigger lens, and maybe a snoot for the flash, but I don't think Mr. Hawk would have waited for all that. The final result is cropped 50%. Meanwhile, the band was all assembled in the building, waiting for the sound tech (yours truly) to arrive. Usually, I'm the first one there. Yes, I know that the light and color is less than natural, and we have a noise problem due to the high ISO, but... nothing ventured, nothing gained. We are going into a long weekend. I'll have to switch back to my regular bag... the one that has room for more than one lens.

10 comments:

Wendy said...

You did awesome Craver! You got a pretty nice shot without your 300mm, which is really hard when it comes to birds of prey, congrats! And I can't believe he let you get that close! How long did he stay after he spotted you?

Gaelyn said...

It never hurts to try. You did great with what you had with you. I never get very good closeups of any birds. But then I only have a P&S.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

You did really well with that lens Craver. I do not think I would even have tried.

George said...

I think this is a tremendous picture, considering the lens you had to work with. The cropped picture is very good.

Shammickite said...

Mr Hawk is giving you the evil eye.
Good picture of an elusive bird.

Craver Vii said...

This one spotted me early, but it stuck around for a while, Wendy.

This time, it did hurt to try Gaelyn. It annoyed some people that they had to wait for me. I had to apologize to them being rude. :-(

Oh yes, you would have, Joan. I know you better than that!

I wasn't going to crop it at first, George. I wanted you to see what I got, but I couldn't leave it alone... I cut it down to 50%.

The bird looked at me funny, that's for sure Shammy. Instead of twisting its neck a quarter turn to the right, it turned way to the left. Maybe it thought I was goofy, using a small lens for such a grand bird.

mommanator said...

you did great despite less than optimal time etc

imac said...

using to your best, thats a true photographer

lime said...

way to improvise!

Craver Vii said...

Thank you Mommanator. As long as I can, I'll keep trying to do better.

My personal best is all I could ever do Imac, and I won't settle for anything less.

I had to, Lime. I was compelled not to waste that opportunity for a shot.