Wednesday, November 28, 2012

back to the future

NCC-1701-D at warp speed

Header Challenge: Back to the Future

November 28, 2012

This is my third of three promised installments as one of the Headbangers.  Please visit fellow Headbangers to see their take on this theme. Fishing Guy, Katney, Imac, Sandy and Lew.  They have been very gracious to welcome me into their circle, and if you think you would like to try it out, talk to Imac or Fishing Guy... tell them Craver sent you.

The Headbangers gave me the honor of selecting this week's theme, which is "Back to the Future."  I decided to post some futuristic space ships from an old television show that holds a special place in my heart.  Hopefully, I worded the theme in such a way as to provide some interpretive flexibility for my artistic photography pals.

I remember watching the original Star Trek series with my dad, wishing I could be like Spock and admiring Kirk.  It was so cool how he could beat the bad guys with Judo and steal a kiss from the pretty girls.  When Star Trek: The Next Generation aired, I was slow to get on board, but eventually, I got caught up in that series as well.

Has it already been two decades since that series went off the air?!  Well, since I found the whole franchise so intriguing, I collected some of the Micro Machines versions of these starships, and put them in a shadow box.  When I got my first digital camera, I was looking for something interesting to use as a subject for photography, so I dug up those starship models and created a few images.  These pics are all double exposures.

The NCC 1701 was laid upside down on a black shirt, so I could shoot the underbelly of the ship as if it were suspended in air.  The Klingon Battle Cruiser's star field was Christmas lights.  You may need to enlarge the photo in order to see the cloaked ship.  The selection for this week's header is the NCC 1701-D traveling at warp speed.  The blurring of the stars was made by panning Christmas lights.  When I created the composite, I blackened some of the "stars," otherwise the ship would look transparent.

NCC-1701 in orbit under the moon


cloaked Klingon Battle Cruiser

8 comments:

imac said...

Well----you're getting there my friend,lol.

Great piece of work and worthy of any Headbanger.
Love it.

But I guess next weeks theme might have you beaten my friend?

We shall see,,,,,,,,

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Craver: What a neat take on this theme. I certainly enjoyed this series and followed most of the following series.

George said...

You did a wonderful job with all of these photos -- and with the theme for the week. Very well done!

Lew said...

Yes, very good take on the theme! My kids loved the series and we even attended at least on convention of trekkies where acouple of the original cast appeared.

Katney said...

We also had a houseful of Trekkers. One son could not write a report without somehow bringing something from Star Trek into it. Between husband and I, we must have trekked to eight or ten conventions or events.

This was a great theme. If I had not been traveling, I might have been able to get a shot of a De Lorean and create something from the movies--which were also a favorite around here.

I hope you have enjoyed your three weeks try-out and will continue to join us in the challenge.

Pastor Dave said...

you made all headbangers of america proud,my friend.

Carletta said...

These are terrific!
I'm a Star Trek girl myself. Couldn't decide who I was 'in love with' more - Kirk the good looking one or Spock the one I wanted to change.
I'll have to pop over and see Fishing Guy. Right now I'd say you'll get the gold. Great idea and photographed very well.

lime said...

congratulations! your effects are officially more sophisticated than those of the original series! truth. i saw a documentary where the star-filled universe was just a black sheet with holes pierced through it and a light behind it. hehehehe