Thursday, January 03, 2013

let it snow

Header Challenge: Let It Snow!

January 3, 2013

 My wife and I like the snow.  She likes colder weather, period.  I prefer extreme cold over extreme heat, as long as I can dress for it properly.  Keep the shorts and sandals; I'm much more comfortable in a longsleeved flannel shirt or a hoodie.  Well, this winter has been unseasonably warm so far, and we've had negligible accumulation.  I needed to remind myself of where I live, so here are some let it snow pics.  This week's theme was my choice.  Check out my pals for their interpretations on the theme: Fishing Guy, Katney, Imac, Sandy and Lew.

My header is a close-up of a snow bump.  I lit it with a diffused flash.  There is a Christmas tree in the background, and the snowflakes were made by putting a sheet of construction paper with a snowflake cutout in front of the lens.  It's called a bokeh filter  It took some tinkering, but once I figured it out, it was easy.  I added a white vignette because I wanted it to look like we were looking outside a frosted window to a snowman in a blizzard.


This is similar to my header, but I added a faux window frame.

We love snow... lots of it!
...Except when the snow plow breaks my mailbox.
Just a simple snowman last time... but we have creative ideas for the next great snowfall!
Don'tcha love how the snow lays on the the trees in the park?  We have this one framed in my house.

10 comments:

imac said...

Craver - the snowman eh! lol.
Nice camera work my friend.

Jackie said...

Thank you for the link to bokeh.
I love learning new things.
Great photos!

Katney said...

Your bokah filter worked wonders on this. Still not sure how to do bokah well on purpose with my equipment, but I do occasionally get a good bokah effect serendipitously.

I had to leave my post before finishing it, but posted it half done. The remaining images are captioned now.

Chris said...

Wow compare to us, you got snow. Happy new year ;-)

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Craver: Cool work on your header. I really enjoyed the boy in the snow pile.

happyone said...

Love that face on the snowman in your header.
We don't have snow here but our property, Happy Trails in western MD has a couple of feet of the white stuff.

EG CameraGirl said...

I'm with you on preferring cold to heat. And I like snow too. We have more snow than you do. :))

Lew said...

Yes, the snow in the park is a superb photo! Love the kid in the snow. You certainly have had your share of snow in the past!

Shammickite said...

When you consider everything, snow is just frozen water making the world look a lot prettier than it really is.

lime said...

ah beautiful shots all. glorious snow!