Wednesday, August 30, 2006

splish-splash

At my church, there is no minimum age limit for baptism, but the one being baptized must be able to tell their testimony. So if a youngster wants to step into the water, what should an ultra-simple confession of faith sound like? Maybe like this:
  • God is perfect (holy).
  • I don't deserve heaven 'cause I'm not perfect like God is. I'm a sinner.
  • But Jesus died on the cross to forgive me for all my sins, then He rose from the dead.
  • I trust Him because He is the only one who can save me, and give me new life. And I want Him to be number one in my life.

2 comments:

Even So... said...

I'd dunk 'em if they said that, and they had been with us for a while...

Al Hsu said...

Child Evangelism Fellowship has some really basic materials and resources for sharing the gospel with little kids, including their wordless book/bracelet with the colored beads symbolizing heaven, sin, Jesus' blood, forgiveness and new life. I bet even this is more complex than it really needs to be - as one theologian said at the end of his life, it all really boils down to, "Jesus loves me, this I know."