Friday, February 16, 2007

sunglass hut

I heard a radio interview years ago. It’s terrible of me, but I cannot recall the person’s name or the book they were promoting. All that remains in my head is this anecdote:

Traveling through an airport one day, this Christian decided to pass the time by shopping for sunglasses. He browsed a while, picked out a pair, paid for them, then left. The whole time, he had it in his head, that he should probably say something to the clerk about Jesus. Well, now it was too late. He had just stepped out of the shop, product in tote, and there was no natural reason to reenter.

Except… each step he took away from that shop felt like he was reinforcing a disobedient attitude to God, and there was a continual prodding that he felt inside, telling him to turn around and go back in the store, so he could share the good news about Jesus Christ with the clerk.

That clerk was oblivious to the civil war going on inside the shopper. He simply stood there, in the empty shop, reading his newspaper.

Convinced that the guilty feeling would not go away by itself, he nervously turned around and reentered the sunglass shop. The clerk was aware that the customer returned, but didn’t even look up from his newspaper.

Stammering, the Christian said, “Um, it sure is something how these little glasses protect us from the harmful rays of the sun.”

Still not looking, he mumbled “Yuup.”

Our Christian friend continued, “Wouldn’t it be something if we could find something to protect us from the very fires of hell?”

That’s what came out of his mouth, and now he wished that he could just disappear; he was so embarrassed! He thought, “What a lame segue!!”

The clerk slowly folded his paper, placed it down, and with a mystified look said, “I was just wondering the exact same thing.”

That day, this very clerk asked Jesus to be his Lord and Savior.

God will use His children to reach people he has chosen for salvation, not because of, but sometimes despite their technique. But if one remains silent, God can always use someone else. This shopper was able to “see” the power of God flow from his mouth to the clerk’s heart! I’ll bet he does not regret it. Neither will you.

13 comments:

L.L. Barkat said...

You've got to wonder who the work was for most... the Christian who wasn't sure God had the power to save, or the clerk who seemed ready to understand.

Every Square Inch said...

No substitute for obedience...sometimes we just have to step out...or blurt out as the case may be.

Craver Vii said...

Imagine this scenario:

A saved person is met by God at the gates of heaven. God says, “I’m going to let you in, but I want you to know something. Despite my best efforts, there are people who will end up down there because you dropped the ball. I did everything I could to save them, but you messed it up!”

No way! If God decides to rescue someone from death to life, it's impossible for you to cause The Almighty to lose His saving grip!

[Lord, you know my limitations. Please use my humble obedience to glorify Yourself.]

Jen2 said...

Praise the Lord for this post brother......

So many times we criticize each other's techniques....when we should be thankful for the encouragement of seeing others be faithful and bold enough to share the truth. Just like Paul said "I rejoice that the gospel is being proclaimed"

hearty Amen......

Llama Momma said...

Holy cow. Now that I believe in Jesus, like really believe in Jesus, I worry that something like this might happen to me. Seriously.

Anonymous said...

It' that obedience to the Holy Spirit's prodding that is so great. Obey first, ask questions later. More likely, with obedience the answers come without asking.

Craver Vii said...

Yeah Jen2, I cringe when people share the gospel by saying that God loves everybody unconditionally, and would have given His life if you were the only one, and Jesus is knocking at the door of your heart, practically begging that you let Him in... (gag reflex) But it would seem that even bad theology has little effect when God has determined to call a dead person to life. It's MUCH more to have a heart of obedience than to be a soteriological scholar. :-)

Llama Momma, can you tell us why this would worry you?

Llama Momma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Llama Momma said...

"Llama Momma, can you tell us why this would worry you?"

Seriously? Because God might ask me to do something strange. Doesn't that scare YOU?

Craver Vii said...

Llama Momma, thanks for a great response! I was hoping to draw that out of somebody, and I don’t know anyone who, from time to time, isn’t at least a little scared about where God is taking them. I appreciate your transparency and vulnerability.

I’ll speak for myself. I get nervous; I want people to like me! If the world mistreated Jesus, I’m bound to catch some of that grief as I strive to faithfully represent Him.

But then, we have the lesson of the looth tooth. God has a better way, and even though we may have butterflies in the stomach, we do well to trust Him.

Shalom.

Llama Momma said...

Thanks, Craver. Transparency and vulnerability -- that's me! ;-)

Llama Momma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Frank Martens said...

dude, that's crazy.