Thursday, January 31, 2008

bitter cold

Our area is under a "Winter Storm Warning." Translation: hazardous weather is occurring with a threat to life and property.

.

It's hard to take these warnings seriously, because we try to be prepared for the cold and snow, and as long as you drive carefully, bad stuff only happens to someone else, right? Well, today I heard of a family who lost a dear friend, due to yesterday's harsh weather. It seems this lady fell and froze to death before she could crawl to the neighbor's door for help.

.

I feel badly for this family's loss. Don't you wish you happened to drive by just in time to rescue her? Even though I don't know the victim personally, I wish I could have saved her. It was a needless loss of life, since there should have been people nearby... somewhere.

.

But what if...

.

What if someone DID offer a hand right when it happened? And what if in a foolish prideful moment, she waved them off and declined assistance.

.

Lord, grant that I might have the humility to accept help when I need it.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

or to even know that i need help before i slip.

p.s.
need help cleaning up at the animal house!

L.L. Barkat said...

Very sad. And I admire your wish to have been there. You are a rescuer at heart.

Shammickite said...

Storms have to be respected. We are under a winter storm warning too, the roads are treacherous. I'm so happy that I don't have to drive the highway to work every day, and my heart goes out to those who do.

Jennwith2ns said...

Ugh. Either scenario is utterly horrifying.

imac said...

Every time I look you have such great posts, really enjoy looking at your great blog.

Unknown said...

Let me help you with those Petra tickets. The music could be too loud and hurt your ears. I'll just sacrifice my own for ya. :)

Craver Vii said...

Thanks for playing along at Llama Momma's NaNcY. I'm glad you were part of it.

Though I've never read statistics on it LL, I expect a lot of us wish we could be there just in time to do something that counts, especially to save a life.

Shammy, I used to think it was excessive, how people in Louisville, Kentucky would shut down businesses for an ice storm. It seemed to me that they just weren't as rugged as us tough Chicagoans. It turns out those ice storms are quite deadly, and if they know anything down there, it's deadly car wrecks. Icy roads aren't only bad for mailboxes.

Craver Vii said...

Hey Jenn, if I'm ever in such a predicament, and you happen to pass by, pop a Starbucks coffee bean in my mouth, and I will be content until an ambulance arrives.

Thanks Imac, I'm blessed; that was a really, really nice thing to say.

(John Schlitt, a former lead singer from Petra will be performing a concert at my church on an upcoming Saturday, then leading worship the morning after.)

Eve, I understand John has a brand new CD out. I haven't heard it yet. Hopefully, I can get a picture with him. If I do, you bet I'll post it!

Margaret Feinberg said...

That is heartbreaking

Every Square Inch said...

Sad tale - a terrible way to die. And, while it's not relevant to this real life story, it's true that we often need help but either fail to receive it because we're blind to our need or too proud to receive it.

Martin Stickland said...

Sad news about the poor lady.

I hope you are keeping well my friend!

M

Craver Vii said...

Margaret! How nice to hear from you! I didn't see a dot emanating from Alaska. I have some catching up to do with yours and Leif's adventures.

This lady was a best friend to my boss' parents. Unfortunately, the details were on the verge of bizarre. I'll skip all that mess.

Hey, does anybody call you "Maggie?" I've always wanted to, but didn't know how you'd take it. (If you don't like it, I'll even delete this comment.)

Craver Vii said...

There are worse ways to die though, ESI. The "angel of death" doesn't care about a person's dignity, either.

I was reading about Bonhoeffer last night. He came close to escaping martyrdom. No doubt he's content with his new living arrangements.

Keeping well Mr. Martin? Yes Sir, just like canned vegetables, I am!