Monday, April 14, 2008

vanishing act

As you can see, I'm learning how to make myself invisible. Now, before a silly person tries to explain how they THINK I did it, let me tell you that I did not take two separate shots without moving the camera, and I did not use the Picasa program's collage function to create a multiple exposure.

.

No. My technique involves concentrating on something very, very dull and uninteresting. That, plus some pixie dust, and you can do the vanishing trick as well!

.

The reason I want to be able to turn invisible, is so that people don't tense up when I approach them as photographic subjects. Plus, it's awkward when I take a long time to set up a shot. But if they never see me hovering with the camera, it doesn't matter, does it?

.

I hope you don't mind that I am so casual and frank about telling you my thoughts on this. We have gotten to know each other a little bit, and I feel comfortable enough with you by now that I think I can be "transparent."

14 comments:

lime said...

definitely a good skill to have....ok, thinking boring thoughts now oO(statistics, grocery lists, toilet scrubbing, ...)

dot said...

I'll have to practice on that one!
Did you ever come see my leftovers? Are you still going with the theme?
I've started a new blog if you are interested in joining.

Shammickite said...

Fading aw a aa a aa aa yyyyyy

Shammickite said...

OK, enuf fooling, let us all know how you did that neat trick...

Craver Vii said...

More pixie dust Lime. And um, (looking away/blushing) you didn't have to take this off.

So glad you like the "Leftovers!" idea, Dot. This enables more of us to enjoy some of your photos that might not otherwise be posted. I'll likely post mine on Tuesdays or Wednesdays.

I checked out your new blog idea, and I'll see if I can spin something for you...

Sound effects, Shammy? Nice touch. I saw you made a collage for the Red Hat Ladies. What kind of photo editing do you use? Do you use Picasa?

Craver Vii said...

My secret:
Using Picasa, select photos and "hold" them in the folder. Then click "collage." The drop-down menu to select "type" will offer the option of "multi-exposure."

The original photo looks bad, because I didn't use flash, and had to lighten it a lot, but the ghostlike images were a combination of the empty couch and a Sepia-colored self-portrait.

The lightest of the "invisible" shots was a multi-exposure collage with a 2:1 ratio.

Daniel J Santos said...

excellent work, well done.

L.L. Barkat said...

As always, ha! :) You make me laugh. And, yes, I'll miss seeing you at Calvin.

Anonymous said...

Hey! I can almost see your earring in that photo!

Your friend,
(:-)

Craver Vii said...

Thank you, Daniel. I especially liked your post today.

I heard that Caedmon's Call would be doing music there, LL. What a treat!

Dear "Anonymous": Not even! Wrong earlobe, Miss Why-don't-you-put-glitter-on-it! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah, the glitter! I'm so glad you went there! So what color will you use this Sunday? A nice springtime green like the grass or maybe a vibrant blue like the sky. Looking forward to seeing you shine!...oops! I mean sparkle!

Your friend,
(:-)

orneryswife said...

I'd like to go invisible, then only have part of me come back. THAT would be a good skill to have!!! :-)
TM

Sharon said...

Very cool! However, you better also learn to make your camera invisible - it will give you away every time! ;o)

Anonymous said...

Good post.