Monday, May 12, 2008

mom meme

Six Random Things was sent by my friend L.L. Barkat, author of the new book, Stone Crossings. If you don't mind, I'll put a twist on this one, and take the opportunity to honor my mother.

.

  1. My mother is spontaneous. I think she is a sojourner at heart, enjoying the journey every bit as much as the destination, and flexible enough to adapt with all the twists and turns that come along the way.
  2. She is creative and clever. She can think outside the box. Don't let it bother you that she beats you effortlessly at dominoes; you never really had a chance.
  3. Mom is taller than my dad. Of course, he's 5'0" (and half-an-inch). Still, I will always look up to both of them.
  4. She has birthmarks on her forearm that people always wonder about and sometimes ask. But they're just splotches of color. Maybe her melanin chose to band together and congregate there, separating from the rest of her skin. Because she is so fair, sometimes people guess that she might be from Eastern Europe rather than Puerto Rico.
  5. She's a bargain-brand shopper. Never wasteful. I'll bet Dad likes that.
  6. She loves to laugh. We can sit and visit and enjoy telling stories from a light perspective. Her laughter is affirming and encouraging.

.

Let me add one more thing, just because. When I was little, I loved to draw and color. Right now, I can't remember a specific instance of sitting with her, but I feel close to Mom when I'm doing something artistic.

.

As usual, I will break the rules and not tag specific people, but please use this meme if you feel so inclined. :-)
Tagging Rules:
  • Link to the person who tagged you.
  • Post the rules on your blog.
  • Write six random things about yourself.
  • Tag six random people at the end of your post by linking to their blogs.
  • Let each person know they have been tagged by leaving a comment at their blog.
  • Let your tagger know when your entry is up.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You a clever person, I liked it.
What a way to celebrate mother's day !!

Cuckoo

L.L. Barkat said...

Oh! I love that you broke the rules and came up with a Mom Meme! This is just my style. :)

lime said...

she sounds delightful :)

Llama Momma said...

This is so sweet, Craver. I love it!

Craver Vii said...

Mom is a riot! I felt compelled to write something out, because I have done something similar in the past for my dad, but this is the first time I did something like that for Mom.

She and my wife get along very, very well. One of my favorite stories is when Mom called and I picked up. I received the usual greeting, and after some perfunctory small talk, she asked to chat with my wife. Hah! What am I?! ...Chopped liver?! :-) (Seriously, I'm glad they love each other.)

david mcmahon said...

Perfect tribute.

mommanator said...

good goin craver- mom's rule!

Every Square Inch said...

nice tribute to your mom

San said...

I love the way you feel close to your mom when you're engaged in an artistic activity. Somehow, that seems significant (in a very good way).