Tuesday, June 03, 2008

finest linens

Clothe me in white, so I won't be ashamed.1

.

These words on Sunday were so uplifting! Before I get to that, let me set this up. I sometimes think of God's holiness and his standard of righteousness. By contrast I am aware of my own wrong doings and ashamed of my sin. It is sure that I cannot approach Him on my own... as I am.

.

I breathe a sigh of relief knowing that Christ has done a twofold work which I like to call "the great exchange." His substitutionary payment removed my lethal stain of sin, and then I am clothed with His righteousness. Sunday I pondered long and hard on that second point.

.

I am just a regular guy who is clothed with the righteousness of God-the Son. When my Creator looks at me, he does not see a disappointing sinner. He sees the object of his love, divinely covered with the righteousness of Christ himself! First, I imagined this covering to be similar to what happens when a man dons a tuxedo. People might treat him different because of what he has put on. That does not go far enough; this "imputation" is legal-talk, not fashion. It is more like adoption, I think. I was not righteous before, but then, by legal process, a court (the highest) has declared me righteous, and henceforth I shall be recognized as such.

.

Heavenly Father, I can never earn what you have freely given. Thank you for your mercy and grace. Make me who and what you want me to be.

.

1 ©1994 Mercy / Vineyard Publishing Words and Music by Brian Doerksen

11 comments:

lime said...

thank you

dot said...

Beautiful post! Reminds me of a sermon our preacher preached a few weeks ago on the kindness of God. I'm so glad he overlooks all the bad things I've done and loves me still! I should do the same with others..see only the good and not the bad in them. I'm trying.

Andrea said...

This is a wonderful post. It is sad how the world judges people and classes people by what they have or don't have.

L.L. Barkat said...

I like that distinction between fashion and legal talk. Though when clothed with Christ, we have a beautiful garment too. :)

Anonymous said...

Well said. I think I've seen that cross somewhere before I just can't put two and two together hmmm. I wonder where I have seen that cross before throughout the night.


Randy

orneryswife said...

I have seen it illustrated as the sinner (a pencil) being enclosed in His righteousness (a Bible) so even though the pencil is there, all that is seen is the covering. It is truly an amazing thing that when God looks at me, He sees Jesus and His righteousness. Totally mind boggling!
TM

Dewdrop said...

Well said... very well said.

Craver Vii said...

Lime, :-)

Dot, it is amazing, isn't it? When we overlook a transgression, the debt remains, but God found a way to free us from the debt of sin and serve justice at the same time. Propitiation will have to be a whole other post, though. And I'm sure it will be a challenge to come up with a good photo and story.

That's true, Andrea, but sometimes it's good to treat people different. I especially do that when I find a preadolescent in formalwear. I like to treat them like royalty, and they know then that the occasion is special. But as far as racism or economic prejudices, that stuff is disgusting.

You've seen pictures of me, LL. God certainly doesn't look the same way regular people do, because I ain't exactly "beautiful."

Thanks Randy. You know what? That photo was taken between Sunday services, in broad daylight. The black background happened because there are no windows in the room, and the light sources were only in front of the cross, plus I turned the spot meter on, and it caused the background to look even darker.

First time I heard that one, Ornery's Wife. I love a good object lesson!

Thanks Dewdrop. Hey there, "Storm-chaser!" We've been forecasted with some busy weather activity here lately. Not the big stuff you go after, mostly rain and thunder.

Jennwith2ns said...

Amen (to that prayer). Thanks for this post. It's one of those things you can discuss theologically, and then it hits you, and is utterly life-transforming.

Ted M. Gossard said...

Amen, Craver. I like the way you put it.

Jules~ said...

Thank you for writing this. It reminds me of something that our pastor preached just a little bit back from the old testament. The story is about when Jacob puts on furs and such to be in the image of his brother Esau so he can receive the blessing of the father. In the same way, we "put on the image of Christ" so that we can receive the blessing of the Father. I had never thought of that story quite like that and it has stuck with me ever since.