Tuesday, July 01, 2008

perspective

This was D2's idea. I liked her picture so much, I snapped my own photo. I told her how much I liked the idea, but also that she could find something that would make an interesting shot. This hamster is only a few weeks old, but it looks huge because of the tiny furniture. It's a matter of perspective.

.

Naturally I have a Western mindset, since I was born and raised in the USA. This morning, I read something from a man who's world view is distinctively Eastern. I loved it!! He is from Korea. His main principles were familiar, but the way he communicated them was so different. I was able to gain a fresh understanding as if through somebody else's glasses.

.

Looking from where you stand, do I see what you see? Can I learn anything new about an objective truth by taking a different, subjective angle of sight?

.

Perhaps you have heard the Indian parable about the blind men and the elephant? Since they each only felt one part (leg, tail, side), their descriptions were completely distinct. I have heard people say that they were each right. My own opinion is that they were all wrong. The elephant is not like a tree. It is not like a rope. It is not like a wall. Sure, each of those descriptions has an element of truth. Nevertheless, they each fall short of the complete picture. These blind men need to learn from each other's perspective, if they want to get it right.

.

[Soapbox: Multiple perspectives is not universally beneficient. Some sources will be more reliable than others. God's self-revelation (i.e., Jesus & the Bible) for example, is not equal to my opinion, or anyone else's opinion. His statutes cannot be improved or changed by popular consensus.]

.

Anyway, the point is, that generally, it is helpful to listen to other people, because we may learn from them. Just like I learned of a cute technique from my own daughter.

.

Can you name something that you learned from someone else? Anything that was illumined by a different perspective or somebody else's experience?

5 comments:

mommanator said...

well after reading thay prose all I could think of is that the body has several parts to make up one unbelievable body which we should use all of

Carletta said...

Not just blind men but all men need to learn from each other's perspective maybe not to get it right, but to see the possibilities. Too many times people only want to believe their own perspective on something and don't listen to somebody else's. No matter how hard you try to get a different perspective across they're not hearing you. I like that you point out "God's statutes cannot be improved or changed by popular consensus." I could go on all day how some interpret scripture to fit their own agenda. Oh my, don't question them on it. Stop me please - there's not enough space here!!
You made some very valid points and observations today and I enjoyed the read.
Anyway I loved the photos :)

Craver Vii said...

Thanks Mommanator and Carletta for your comments on this lonely day. I wonder whether the writing of that post has actually driven anyone away. Anyway, I was speaking to myself as much as anyone else. I have been told that I need to be a better listener, and that I have a tendency to assume that I'm always right.

I've never said that I'm always right. There was one isolated time, back in 1974, when I made a teeny, tiny mistake. Other than that, I'm usually right on target. ;-)

Every Square Inch said...

What did you find interesting and different from your Korean friend's Eastern perspective?

Craver Vii said...

Good question, ESI. His talk about emptying one's self sounded Bhuddist at first, but he was talking about letting go of worldly things, and imitating Christ. He reminded us that Jesus emptied himself, taking the form of a servant.

Then, he talked about the seed of one thing being wrapped inside another thing. The difficulties of this winter hold the seed of spring. Our trials and pain hold the seed of another kind of eventual good thing, etc.

He commended his friends and partners in ministry by calling them "family." A lot of what he said was about family instead of partners.

His manner was characterized by humility, whereas an American might convince others to follow based on credentials.

I liked it a lot.