Monday, June 30, 2008

good driver

The Craver minivan cruised along the interstate a few years ago in a dangerous, slushy, freezing blizzard. The wipers were going full speed. There were several times where the wind tried to change lanes for me, and I had to fight to keep our vehicle in the proper lane. It was dark outside, and I heavily depended on the other cars' lights to get a bearing on where the road turned. We had a long drive ahead of us, and I wanted desperately to drive faster, but the conditions just would not allow me to go any faster.

.

I overtook a car in the other lane. As I closed the gap, and eventually pulled ahead, my son cheered from behind me. "We're number one! We're number one!..." I smiled.

.

I little later, another car closed the gap and began to overtake US! The tables had turned. My son said, "Hurry up, Dad! They're going to win us!" "Son," I told him, "we're not out here to race; it doesn't help if I go faster and we end up in an accident. I just want to get home alive, okay?"

.

The other car was right next to us now. As cheery as anything, S2 said "Okay, Dad." I maintained what I considered to be the best speed, under these conditions, and then the other car pulled ahead.

.

With undiminished enthusiasm, he chanted, "We're number two! We're number two!" How cute, I thought. I grinned and laughed inside. But as reckless drivers ignored everyone's safety and continued to pass, he kept score, "...We're number nine! We're number nine!" it got old. I interjected a firm "Son, Daddy needs some quiet now..."

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

much to ponder on here.
and it made me smile.

thanks

San said...

What a cool "dad story." The wisdom that comes innocently out of those little mouths is amazing.

Lavinia said...

Too many crazy drivers out there. Glad to see that 'safety first' is more in your line. Cute story~!

Craver Vii said...

Yeah NaNcY, that son is really good at making people smile, and it was an excellent sentiment, that he cheered even when we were not "number one."

San, I hope I can be a good listener, when there is wisdom to be heard.

I have to laugh Lavinia, because someone said that everyone who drives slower than you is a sluggish idiot, and everyone who drives faster than you is a reckless maniac. Admittedly, I would probably drive much faster, if it were not for my wife's patient example.

Tom said...

Neat post... wait until you teaching him to drive ha!..
I'm so glad you are laughing at my post.. if you think that village name is funny drop by tomorrow and follow a link... now this will make you snigger.

Shammickite said...

You gotta love those back seat drivers! And I'm with you on the perils of driving in a slushy snowstorm.
We were driving back from Quebec City once, younger son at the wheel, and he tried to overtake. The snow grabbed the wheels and we sailed gracefully into a deep ditch in the middle of the highway. Luckily we were travelling with another car and we had walkie-talkies so they came back to rescue us!
I was the back seat driver that time, but I just kept my mouth shut, I know when to keep quiet!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm always amazed at how empowered people feel while driving in hazardous weather. We joke that if the roads ice over here that it's not your own driving you have to worry about - it's everyone else around you!

Craver Vii said...

Tom, there are few things that scare me as much as having to teach my kids to drive. It wouldn't be so bad if they had their own cars and could afford to be on their own...

Blogger Old Wom Tigley said...

Neat post... wait until you teaching him to drive ha!..
I'm so glad you are laughing at my post.. if you think that village name is funny drop by tomorrow and follow a link... now this will make you snigger.

Oh Shammy, that sends chills down my spine. I would hate to be stranded out in the middle of nowhere... especially when the snow can hide the bodies!!! Thank the Lord for walkie-talkies!

That's so true, Spaghettipie! I hope my kids listen well when we tell them the same thing.