Tuesday, September 02, 2008

passing the time away

There were no soccer games for our club on Saturday. Instead, this busy Labor Day weekend gave me several events I could talk about. I might blab on and on about each and every one, but instead I will choose a single episode and leave the rest of the stories in their potential state for now.

.

(I know I have a lot of "visiting" to catch up on as well, so please bear with me as I try to catch up.)

.

The very first thing I did when I got home on Friday was "make dinner." The joke is in how the men in my family traditionally make dinner. We get pizza.

.

I took the older son with me, and we had some time to kill while waiting for the 'za. I took the soccer ball out of the car and we just passed the ball to each other for a while. I have bad knees, and he has never shown great interest in sports, but that was definitely one of my favorite moments in a weekend full of good things.

.

When he was little, I tried to get him into playing catch. One ball hit him in the face, and we never got to play like I always hoped we would. Here, while waiting for dinner, I found that we were playing a form of catch.

.

It was everything I had hoped for. Just a father and son passing the ball. Nothing major. Nobody else was involved. The activity wasn't forced; we were both bonding naturally.

.

With all the tasty food and celebrations these last few days, I would still say that this was the single greatest thing that I was involved with on this long holiday weekend.

.

Thank you Heavenly Father, for special, bonding moments like these with my biological son, whom I love. Please Sir, I want more of the same. I pray that I might also have more quality time with you as your adopted son, and that you would continually draw me closer, making me who you want me to be. Amen.

8 comments:

Llama Momma said...

Every boy should be as lucky as your son. Good job, Dad!!

Craver Vii said...

That's a very nice sentiment that you're offering, LM. Let me assure you that I am a dad of the plain o'l regular variety. Mostly boring, sometimes irritating, never admits he's wrong, etc. I show my best face on the blog, and all the disappointing facets of my persona are left unpublished. I frequently remind my son of how lucky he is (grin), but when he is grown, if his sentiments towards me are similar to my appreciation of my own father, for that I would be most grateful.

Kim said...

It sounds like a great moment between you two "kids"!
"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!"
Treasure all those moments, no matter how small they seem! Have a great day! 12 hrs from now i will be on a plane headed for vacation! will have lots of pics to share over the next week, including a clothed birch tree! :)

Jules~ said...

Craver, that is such a special picture that you have put in my mind nad heart. Those unsolicited moments are the best. I love how God chooses the seemingly most un-noticed times to make the greatest impact on our hearts.
I bet when he is older, it will be a time that your son looks back on as well with a smile.

Louise said...

Times like that are priceless. Wishing you many more.

mommanator said...

how nice for you both-- so how was thepizza-good also I suspect

Anonymous said...

you made my heart smile.

lime said...

this just makes me smile and feel very warm. so glad you and your son could share that time and thanks for sharing it with us.