Thursday, May 14, 2009

praying hands

I have two stories about prayer.

.

1) I was in the middle of a sloppy conflict resolution at church some twenty years ago. When I offered my two cents, one of agitants retorted, "Well Craver, did you pray about it?" That snotty remark made me feel angry, but she made a good point. I had not prayed before speaking... but I should have.

.

and...

.

2) One night, while on a missions trip in the Philippines, a young man asked my pastor if he could pray for him. Pastor said yes. The next day at morning devotions, the young man looked like he hadn't slept a wink. That's because he didn't. He labored intensely through the morning, interceding for my pastor. That moved me; I have never prayed like that.

.

Incidents like these force me to evaluate my prayer life and ask myself, "What do I really believe about prayer?" And, "Do my practices match my theology?"

.

Warren Wiersbe was talking to Christians about prayer and said: "In whatever man does without God, he must fail miserably, or succeed more miserably."

5 comments:

imac said...

I used to go to church weekly and belonged the committee, but the r clicky crowd and rows between each other, once an old tramp broke in looking for food and somewhere to sleep, but some of the church concil kicked him in the ribs to wake him. I resigned and they call themselves Christians???.
My feelings now is, I belive in God, but I feel closer to him at home in my heart, for isnt God everywhere.I know we all are only human.I guess you will get fed up of me and my ideas.

Craver Vii said...

I think you'd like my church, Imac. Weekly, we serve about 65 families from the community with free groceries. My wife is in charge of that ministry, and I help out. From a survey last year: People said they like the sense of family they feel at this church.

Sibling rivalry is pervasive, and the church is no exception. The only one who meets the right standards is Christ Himself. But we can't properly be a part of the spiritual church and not attend any church gatherings. Like a specific part of the human body is incomplete by itself, you have been designed to fit in, giving and receiving from other people.

I appreciate your visits and opinions, even when they are contrary to my own. May the Lord bring you into a healthier house of worship, my friend.

mommanator said...

I think the Book says 'pray without ceasing'??

Shammickite said...

I probably don't pray often enough.

lime said...

i'm so very late getting here and sorry about that. thank you for your points and for your gentle response to imac. i appreciate the honesty you both share.