Wednesday, July 01, 2009

backyard project.2

A rim is a rim is a rim, right? Wrong! This basketball rim is not the same as it used to be. Why? There used to be structural issues with this rim, to the point where it was undoing the siding's overlap. Moreover, you should have heard the miserable sound it made when a shooter tossed a "brick." (Brick means the ball bounces off the rim instead of swishing inside the net.) The louder than normal reverberations announced a failed shot to a wider audience, and this was bad because we have NO b-ball professionals in the Craver household! My only hope to keep the missed shots from becoming a public nuisance was to miss entirely (air balls) or just not play.

.

When we set out to buy a house, I dreamt of a hoop in the driveway, and there is a higher purpose for it than exclusively ornamental. (Does that syntax even make sense?) I HAD to fix it. Using extra 2x4s and heavy steel reinforcement, the rim is now so secure, that if our house gets hit with a tornado, the hoop will be the last thing standing!

.

What does this do for our game? We still miss a high percentage of shots. And with the improved, rock-solid frame, any missed shots bounce high away, farther than ever before. Oh well... anyone for a game of h.o.r.s.e.?

.

[backyard project is a photo hunt series within my own yard]

7 comments:

Craver Vii said...

Blekhh! That photo looks terrible when it's that small. If you click on it, you'll like it much better; I promise!

EG CameraGirl said...

Hope your house is never hit by a tornado but if it is be sure to post the hoop still standing. ;-)

donsands said...

The bigger hoop is impressive.

I like, I mean liked, playing hoops. I wasn't that good at handling the ball, but I was bad a shooting and passing, and defense. And this white man couldn't jump at all.

Great sport though. May actually be the one that calls for the most endurance overall.

Also, your post made me think of "The Father And the Bride" and the sceen where Steve Martin plays some B-ball with his daughter.

donsands said...

"but I was bad" should be "wasn't too bad" Boy! Am I bad. I need to slow down a bit.

imac said...

What about the sound of Glass - when the ball goes through the window???????????????.lol.

Carletta said...

Smiling at EG - you set yourself up for that one though. :)

When I was young I used to play a little hoops with my brothers and his friends. My knees wouldn't let me these days but I still like to throw the ball and attempt to make a few baskets.

Unknown said...

thank you so much for the compliment and for taking the time to stop by.

hope that you are having a great weekend!