Tuesday, July 17, 2012

s2

Part of the fun of a DSLR is that your camera can be an accomplice when you want to break the rules.  Sure, I like the simplicity of using a compact Point & Shoot on automatic settings, but there is something special about the response you get from playing with all these lovely manual options!

This portrait of my son (S2) was done by using a high ISO plus the flash.  I bounced the flash up at a 45 degree angle, so that I could also wash out the wall behind him.  Then, I cleaned it up just a little and tweaked the color for an effect that looks more like an illustration than a photo.  I hope you like it.

6 comments:

Wendy said...

Nice work Craver, it looks awesome! Thanks for telling us how you did it, I'll have to try it out sometime :)

George said...

This is a neat portrait. I like what you've done here.

Shammickite said...

That's super, I really like it. I think you should make a large print and have it framed.

Craver Vii said...

Yup, it was actually pretty simple. Hey Wendy, those sky diving pics are excellent!!

It's a neat effect for people George, but I wonder what it looks like when this technique is used for other subjects. Maybe I'll experiment with that.

What a nice thing to say, Shammy! I like this one, too. (...Even though his expression is so serious.)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. A wonderful result. Thank you for sharing your secret.

lime said...

pretty cool!