Wednesday, February 27, 2013

ice

Header Challenge: ice

February 27, 2013

Lew picked "ice" for today's challenge. We were told that it can be any shape or color, so I'm eager to see the other creations. Check out my  pals for their interpretations on this theme: Fishing  Guy, Katney, Imac and Lew.

This winter has been unseasonably warm, but we still have some icicles to show. It's neat how a night shot of these are not colorless, but they reflect some amber from a streetlight, and some blue from my house.

How about a nice black & white that looks like the ice was formed from carbonated water? Look at all those tiny bubbles!

One Monday morning, I was stopped in my tracks by how the light reflected off the ice. The twinkling was added by in-camera effects.

The selection for this week's header was an experiment on a cold and dreary night. I wanted so badly to take a picture of SOMETHING. I'm sure you can identify with that, right? I put an ice cube on a black surface, with a black background, and shone a laser pointer into it.  I was hoping to make a cold thing look hot.  What do you think?  Did it work?

13 comments:

Shammickite said...

Looks like an ingot of molten steel!

imac said...

Looks gold colour, er maybe not gold ? eh.
Great try my friend, love it.

Katney said...

Positively burning.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Craver: It certainly glows, nice ICE.

Lew said...

Looks like it is floating in the night! Love your icicles!

Carletta said...

Just say Mac's swan and came over to see what's freezing here. :)
Your header ice has a rather sci-fi glow to it.
Love the blue icicles!

Jackie said...

Gives the term "icy hot" an image, Craver. Great job on the header photo. I especially love your last photo, too. Beautiful!!

happyone said...

I'd say yes, it did work!!
Great shots.

George said...

Your ice cube is definitely hot -- I like the result of your experiment. I also like the macros of the icicles. Well done all around.

lime said...

i like the carbonated icicles. and YES a cool thing looks hot! impressive!

EG CameraGirl said...

What a cool idea to shoot icicles at night. Hmmm. I need to hunt down some icicles.

Betty Manousos said...

wow, that icy cube in the first photo looks like is made of gold!
ans yes, it's definitely hot!

Betty Manousos said...

.. .and i also like the close-ups of the icicles. well done:)