Wednesday, January 02, 2008

see Scrat go

Soon, I must bid adieu to this fellow in the picture. His name is Scrat. He is a five hour drive from us right now, but in a few months, he will move away to quadruple the distance. That wouldn't bother me, except that he lives with my daughter, son-in-law, and grand-guinea-pigs, and I will miss THEM very much.

.

Saying goodbye is a fact of life that we cannot totally avoid. I try to be mature about it and be thankful for the time we had and trust God about the future. Mature, but only to a point. If I was really sophisticated, I would also be able to say a nice goodbye without coming across as indifferent. Scrat may not care, but I hope his roommates don't get cheated out of a warm farewell.

.

This week I say so long to JH, who will fly to Osaka for two years. JH, I will miss you and look forward to seeing you again. JAA ma-TAA! (Japanese for "See ya later!")

7 comments:

orneryswife said...

Well, I would be sad to see scrat go, too! It is so hard to see our kids move away, but it is also a rewarding thing, isn't it? I mean we'd hate for them to feel the need to always be near us and never explore the world or their call. I'll pray with you for their safe keeping and a valuable life changing experience as they move away.

Blessings!
TM

Ted M. Gossard said...

Craver,
You're not that far from being a grandpa! Wow.

It is hard to say goodbye, though in Jesus that's never forever.

Anonymous said...

i agree...goodbye is hard.

Craver Vii said...

I thought for a moment it was a Caesar, but it's NaNcY. Or should I say Fern? I'll be heading over to your blog in a little while for a good word. Thanks for leaving a comment.

The Lord's will be done, Ted.

An excellent point, TM. Is that the voice of experience? Mrs. Craver and I are confident that our daughter and son-in-law will fly on their own, but is always nice to see them return to the nest.

Unknown said...

Big hugs for you and Mrs. Craver!

orneryswife said...

Oh, it is absolutely the voice of experience. And they can never really come home again and be the same as when they left. But it really is beautiful to discover that all the hard work we poured into them has paid handsome dividends in that they are wise, serving God, and good citizens. It is very satisfying, indeed!
TM

Mary said...

You did well enough raising me for me to find a good man and for us to go to Kentucky so he could be in seminary. But the true shining of your awesome fatherness came through the moment that we finally had the opportunity to say "yes, we're moving to Florida!!" Hahaha

All kidding aside, we're so bummed we're going to be much further away from you all now. At the same time we're very excited that we're going to be able to see Lito & Lita on a much more frequent basis as well as Wes' aunt & uncle (who live in Ft. Myers). You'll just have to visit us more often...I would so love for you to see St. Augustine!!!