Thursday, February 21, 2008

scope and sphere

My camera's viewscreen freezes from the moment the shutter button is pressed. The image remains frozen for several seconds. As for the intended photograph, the image capture takes place in some undiscernable moment between those five seconds (or years!). The more pics I have on that disc (yes, disc), the longer it takes. That makes it almost impossible to capture anything that is moving, like cars or birds, especially when using the zoom.

.

So, from spare parts, I fabricated a simple scope. It's just a flash mount and hollowed-out shell from a mechanical pencil. There is a little wiggle in it, so it needs to be calibrated before I use it, but it came in handy last night.

.

I was taking pictures of the moon for the next Sky Watch Friday. Everything was fine, until I got to the last picture. It was too dark to find the reddish moon in the camera's viewfinder! Click, I mounted the scope, aimed it at a floodlight for calibration, and voila! Now I could take a good aim in the dark.

4 comments:

L.L. Barkat said...

That is so cool. I love it when people find creative solutions.

Halfmom, AKA, Susan said...

You know - there's just something about the way your brain works sometimes that really kinda scares me!

A mechanical pencil you say??

I was hoping you were getting pictures last night while I was in staying warm!

Craver Vii said...

(deep sigh) Aah, comments! I was beginning to get concerned.

When I was a little boy LL, I used to take things apart, thinking I could rebuild them into something better. Mostly, I just got myself a big mess of worthless trash, but my favorite thing was to "build computers" like the one on the old Batman TV show. Starting with a big cardboard box, I added all kinds of buttons and knobs, and nonfunctional lights, switches and levers. Oh, it was great fun!

Well Halfmom, I just happened to have a mechanical pencil that I had not written with in four years, and it matched the color of the flash mount doo-dad...

Hilary said...

I have no idea what you concocted for your camera but it sounds fascinating. My old camera lagged terribly too when the memory card was full, so I understand your frustration.