Friday, May 02, 2008

tooth paste

Our soccer practice began this way. On my mark, the kids each opened a trial sized tube of toothpaste. Then, they squeezed it ALL out, until it was completely empty. They thought that was the contest, but then I told them to switch partners.

.

Their partner now took the seat, and wearing latex gloves, they had to put ALL the toothpaste BACK INTO THE TUBES!! It was hilarious! (Amazingly, they actually got SOME of it in, but not all.)

.

I explained that, like the toothpaste, any words can easily come out of our mouths. Words that help or words that hurt, and everything in between. But once they are spoken, they are out there, and it's not so easy to take back a word we shouldn't have said.

.

The point is to make sure we are wise, and only say nice things to each other.

.

Then, we proceeded to run laps and do the rest of the games/drills as one of the soccer parents easily scooped up the mess.

15 comments:

Shammickite said...

Great illustration of some very good advice!
Kind of a huge waste of toothpaste though!

Craver Vii said...

Very funny, Shammy. I'm kinda cheap. Er... I mean frugal. I was more concerned with saving my pennies, truthfully. So I only bought six trial-sized tubes at a dollar a piece. If they learned the lesson, it was money AND toothpaste well spent, don'tcha think? :-)

lime said...

excellent exercise to get the point across

Llama Momma said...

What a great teaching illustration! You don't mind if I borrow that, do you?

(Oh, and I know where you can get the little tubes for only FIFTY cents. Oh, yeah. Who's the Llama?)

dot said...

Nice little lesson. My Mother used to say that she knew something the strongest man in the world could not do and that was to put toothpaste back in the tube.

Anonymous said...

Oh my !! Craver, you have such a nice & simple way to explain things.

Keep it up friend !!

mommanator said...

Man that was inspired!

orneryswife said...

excellent. I used a sponge once to illustrate how we absorb things without even intending to, the lesson was to guard your heart.

Glad you're having so much fun with this!
TM

Sharon said...

What an awesome lesson!

Ted M. Gossard said...

Good lesson, Craver. Bet they won't forget that one, and neither should we!

imac said...

Neat idea.

Martin Stickland said...

Great fun and wise words too my old friend (Old? I meant young!)

Halfmom, AKA, Susan said...

nicely done Craver!

I have posted a new picture that I didn't have time to show you yesterday - you will enjoy it - and Mrs Craver more so!

Craver Vii said...

I am thinking that the sponge illustration from Ornery's Wife could be really useful as we explain why we regulate the amount and quality of television that our kids see. Plus, there is great potential for a daddy/daughter talk there. I would like to hear more!

Ted, I'll bet they did forget it. ;-)
But I'll remind them!

Halfmom, I went to Bass Pro Shop this weekend, and was surprised to find how many of their customers are not the rugged outdoor kind of guy, but there were women, even teenaged girls! Perfumed, lipsticked mall queens!! What were they all doing in this store? Oh, and a dog. Yes, I saw a tiny, little lap dog. It didn't look too much different from your picture, and the lady in line in front of me was holding it like a baby. The dog silently peered at me over her shoulder. I wonder if it was scared because of all the animal killing stuff in that place.

Colleen said...

I'm a preschool teacher. This is an excellent idea!