Wednesday, June 18, 2008

heron now

Egrets, I've had a few... but then again, too few to mention.

.

It seems like I've been chasing this bird for the longest time! I never had the camera with me or ready to shoot when seeing one flying over or even standing still.

.

Yes, I know this shot is terribly blurry, but this is the best I have for now. If the place that I caught this one is a regular resting place, maybe I'll bring a tripod next time.

.

Last night, I did not go out with the intention of photographing a heron, (also known as an egret). I wanted to test a new fishing hole for about fifteen minutes, right after soccer practice. I always bring a camera when I go fishing, just in case I catch something. Two of these beauties were wading in the shallows on the other side of the water. For lack of time, plus fear of scaring them away, I did not make the trek around the pond. I have this crazy zoom on my camera--it says it can go 20x!! So, I zoomed all the way, snapped the shot, and then from the view/play mode, zoomed in even more on that.

.

As I drove away, I thought I saw one more around the bend that had a darker coloring, but there were no convenient spots to pull over and I had no time left, so I drove on. Maybe next week I can try again.

11 comments:

imac said...

Sounds like you have patients too my friend.

Many thanks for your very kind comments.

Ted M. Gossard said...

Those birds are simply beautiful, Craver.

I remember at the pond at Grand Rapids Theological Seminary and Cornerstone University seeing some unusual birds, big ones, especially one time, a big one like that, if not that.

Craver Vii said...

Not enough patience, Imac. I try not to be impatient, but I am highly distractable and there are a few things that I tolerate less than others. God ain't done with me yet.

Ted, I wish so much that I could just go and hang out with you for a day or so. I think I would come away from that so blessed.

Yeah, those birds are really special. Whether soaring or standing, they're a pretty sight.

mommanator said...

the birds look so frail, but really aren't. uitemajestic in flight!

lime said...

so you're saying you did it your way?

Craver Vii said...

You're so right, Mommanator. Birds in flight are amazing! I often find myself thinking about these incredible creatures, and the little that I know about them. What if we gave wings of a suitable proportion to something like a cow? The lung operation and heavy bones would not let them do very much other than generate a lot of wind. They could never soar like birds.

It is gratifying when I put something "out there" and somebody confirms that they "get" it. Thanks Lime. Now let's momentarily step away from Sinatra-land and see who can name the artist from the main title: "heron now." Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Carletta said...

Hi Craver,
Egrets - I've had a few.... my dose of smiles first thing!
You captured this beautiful bird - who's worried about a little blur and look there's a reflection.
The only "egret" would be if you hadn't gotten it at all. :)

dot said...

I don't think it's a bad picture at all. Wish I could run across one of those.
Since you said you had never caught a fish I certainly hope you don't forget the camera in case you ever do!

Craver Vii said...

You are so kind, Carletta. There are a lot of bloggers with cameras out there, and they have really raised the bar on amateur photography. I see their photos and keep a high standard in mind. I love it, 'cause it makes me try harder.

I caught my first fish a week ago, Dot. I think you were down in "L.A." at the time. Still, we all know that the day I forget the camera, I'll haul in something like the creature from the black lagoon, and nobody will believe me!

San said...

Egads. That's a lovely egret.

Rose said...

This is a nice capture...I never have any luck with bird pictures either. Maybe one of these days I will improve in that area.

You were the one interested in fishing, weren't you? If so go check out my blog a few days back. (Friday,the 13th) There are links in it to show a couple of the lures we use with success.